BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, June 08, 2009

Chillin in El Barrio


I went to get a haircut today and go food/botanica shopping in Spanish Harlem. The neighborhood has changed over the years. Many of the big botanicas have closed leaving only four remaining in El Barrio. This neighborhood was once the center of Puerto Rican art, music, and culture. In many ways it still is. However due to gentrification, things are changing. The negative effects of gentrification are businesses and people are forced out of their stores or residences due to increasing rents. Also the new people moving in begin to look down on the original residence. This is the type of arrogance I can neither fathom nor stand for.
My motto of the day and my battle cry is There is nothing gentrified about gentrification!!!

The picture above is a photo I took of a mural located on 106th and Lexington Avenue. It is a mural of Pedro Pietri by artist James De La Vega.

0 comments: